WHY?We are aware that we only have one planet and would like to do our part in preserving it for current and future generations. Switching to organic cotton is a first step in this.
ORGANIC COTTON IS BETTER FOR PEOPLE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
The production of cotton and the processing of the picked bulbs (cotton fibers) is one of the most polluting forms of agriculture in the world. You may not think about it, but almost everyone in the world wears or uses one or more cotton products every day. To meet this huge demand, more than 25 million tonnes of cotton are produced annually in around 85 countries worldwide.
To contribute our efforts to a more sustainable world, we have switched to organic cotton for the production of our duvet covers, mattress protectors and fitted sheets.
Organic cotton is produced in such a way that it is better for the environment. This has been achieved by, among other things, using less water, using fewer pesticides and making less use of artificial fertilizer. By applying these principles, the soil and therefore also the product improves, with the result that the harvest and yield are better for cotton farmers.
CHOOSE ORGANIC COTTON AND SUPPORT THE SUSTAINABLE COTTON INDUSTRY
By making a conscious choice (by opting for sustainably-produced cotton products), we not only protect nature in the long term, but also the survival of humans and animals. As previously reported, organic cotton is grown with the help of natural cultivation methods, so without artificial fertilizer and chemical pesticides.
Examples of this are: crop rotation (to keep the soil fertile) or the use of biological control agents (such as non-harmful insects) to prevent crops from being affected by harmful insects. As a result, people and the environment are less at a disadvantage.
After cotton cultivation, organic cotton is also processed with more respect for people and the environment. By dyeing the cotton with as many environmentally friendly (re) dyes as possible, so without harmful chemicals, fewer chemicals end up in the groundwater and this is healthier for the workers and other residents in the vicinity of the plantations.
Our jersey fitted sheets made from 100% organically grown cotton and carry the OEKO-Tex 100 quality mark.
QUALITY MARK FOR ORGANIC COTTON
This health mark for textiles indicates that there are no harmful substances in the product. It is checked independently.
With the OEKO-Tex certification you know that organic cotton is very suitable for babies and children, because their immune system is not yet fully grown. They are therefore more sensitive to allergies and eczema. Children with allergies tolerate organic baby and children's clothing made of organic cotton.
STANDARD 100 is a worldwide, consistent and independent testing and certification system for raw, semi-finished and finished textile products at all processing levels, as well as used accessories.
The objectives of the product certification according to STANDARD 100 are:
- To provide end users with a reliable and independent product label for non-hazardous products that have been tested in accordance with the STANDARD 100 criteria catalog and thereby contribute to effective consumer protection.
- Targeted support of companies in the textile chain based on a scientific criteria catalog and neutral laboratory tests with the implementation of their intended product safety with regard to human ecology.
The tests for harmful substances according to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® take into account important legal requirements, such as prohibited azo dyes, formaldehyde, pentachlorophenol, cadmium, nickel, etc., requirements of the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) with regard to to lead, numerous harmful chemicals, even if they are not yet regulated, and various health care parameters.
In the criteria catalog, STANDARD 100 also takes into account numerous environmentally-relevant substance classes. The tests and laboratory tests are conducted exclusively by 16 affiliated institutes of the OEKO-TEX® Association, each with proven expertise.
The concept of OEKO-TEX® tests for harmful substances is based on a modular system: certifications are possible at every stage of the textile value chain; certificates of preliminary stages are recognized. A successful test makes it possible to label respective textiles or materials with the STANDARD 100 mark after the certificate has been issued.
More information can be found here .
THE ADVANTAGES OF OUR ORGANIC COTTON FITTED SHEETS, MATTRESS PROTECTORS AND DUVET COVER SETS
- Organic cotton is not only better for the environment but also for you and your child. It feels softer and is more open in structure (therefore better breathable).
- Organic cotton feels basically the same as non-organic cotton, so you will experience virtually no difference in terms of sleeping comfort or washing.
- The idea that you do not contribute (or at least less) to the negative consequences of cotton production and in this way commit yourself to a greener world for yourself, your children and future generations, is a very nice one.
- Our fitted sheets are OEKO-Tex Standard 100 certified and feel soft and comfortable. Very pleasant for people with sensitive skin, because it contains no harmful substances.
- Jersey is a slightly elastic and fine knitted fabric that is very flexible and feels wonderfully soft. Because jersey stretches somewhat, the fitted sheet also fits slightly longer mattresses. The hem is provided with elastic around the hem, so that the fitted sheet is pulled tightly around the mattress and therefore stays in place.